We lose more young men to suicide than any other cause of death.
May 8. Save the date that could change a life.
The story of M8D8
M8D8 is an initiative created by the very people it’s designed to help: young men. We know that isolation, loneliness and not talking about our struggles can make a deadly combination.
Taking a M8 on a D8 and having a conversation can be all that’s needed to bring a friend out of a dark place.
M8D8 celebrates young men connecting in the simplest of ways for the greatest of reasons.
The big idea
Sometimes it’s too easy to say yes to ‘are you okay?’ To find out if a mate is really okay requires a relaxed setting and enough time for a decent chat. That’s why we created M8D8.
What are you waiting for? Ask your m8 on a d8 this May 8.
M8D8 is about helping young people change each other’s lives by creating a generation of better listeners.
Get on board. Be a m8. Learn to listen.
Make conversations happen
If you think someone needs to talk, ask them how they really are and stick with it until they’re ready. You are the right person to have this conversation.
Activities create conversations
Guys talk better when they’re doing something together.
Time to listen
Show your m8s that you will listen. Let your m8 know you’re listening now.
Engage with what they’re saying
Don’t interrupt or judge. If a m8 says he’s doing it tough, then he is. There is no right thing to say. Just listening is enough.
Set up more support
Encourage your m8 to reach out to family, friends, teacher, GP or counselling service.
How to D8 a M8
Guys talk better when they’re doing something together. It’s not about what you do, it’s about what you say.
- Grab a bite to eat
- Watch a game
- Get active: play golf, kick the footy, ride a bike or go for a surf
- Get out in nature, go for a hike or camping
- Play a video game
- Watch TV or a movie
- Go to a gig, listen to local music
2021 M8D8 campaign is proudly supported by Alcoa Australia.
M8D8 Instagram competition T&Cs:
- This contest is not sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with Instagram.
- This contest is hosted by Youth Focus.
- The contest will run from 20 April 2021 to 30 April 2021.
- Two winners will be announced on 30 April 2021.
- This competition is for Australian residents of all ages.
- Entrants must tag one friend in the comments section of the post on 20 April 2021.
- People can enter multiple times with different friends. The winning entrant and tagged friend will receive one shirt each.
- Shirts (design pictured) may be collected from the Oli Clothing store in Northbridge or posted free of charge to the entrant.
- Winning entrants will be contacted to confirm their prize and request a t-shirt size.
- Instagram handles must be individuals not businesses.
- Winners will be randomly selected.
- Youth Focus staff are excluded from entering the competition.
If you are in an emotional crisis and require urgent support, please contact:
- Suicide Call Back Service on 1300 659 467
- Kids Helpline on 1800 551 800
- Lifeline on 13 11 14
If you are looking for more information and online support, please refer to the following online resources: